What Is An IRE Request?

by admin on March 20, 2012

Under the authority of the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act, an insurer can request an Independent Rating Evaluation (IRE) once an injured worker receives total disability benefits for 104 weeks. When the insurance company does this, the injured worker will receive an LIBC form that is called a Request for Designation of a Physician to Perform an Impairment Rating Evaluation.

Next, the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation assigns an independent doctor to perform an exam. The independent doctor then uses the American Medical Association’s Guides to Evaluation of Permanent Impairment to accurately determine the degree of the injured worker’s impairments. If the doctor determines that your impairment rating is less than 50%, then your benefit status will subsequently be changed from total to partial disability.

What this essentially means for the injured worker is that they can only receive wage loss benefits for up to 500 weeks. There are also other factors that can determine how long your wage loss benefits last as well. That being said, if the doctor determines that an injured worker has an impairment rating of over 50%, then wage loss benefits can be indefinitely continued. It’s possible to challenge or appeal the IRE, but only during a certain period of time.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your Pennsylvania workers’ compensation benefits, why not speak to a highly experienced Workers Comp Lawyer in Pennsylvania for free. Call Calhoon & Associates at 877-291-9675.

Previous post:

Next post:

Home | How We Can Help You | About Us | Your Team | Our Results | What Others Say | FAQs | More Information | Contact Us
2411 North Front Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone: 717-695-4722
Toll Free: 877-291-WORK (9675)
  14 North Main Street
Chambersburg, PA 17201